Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Impatiently Awaiting My Escape

So, I am lying here in my bed, in the living room, trying to distract myself from the pain and another night of not much sleep.  Surgery went well. There was a slight possibility that the battery was the reason that the implant was not working to its full potential.  They had to test it during the surgery. If the battery was the broken part then they would have to sew me up and cut me back open after the insurance decided to cover it.  My doctor did not wanna pay $20,000.00 out of pocket.  To my luck the problem was the wire. While they were in there they tested the other wire and that was broken as well.  So they put new ones in. It is amazing how well the implant works now.  It covers so much pain that I wanna cry from the relief and excitement that my life can improve greatly.

The surgery was not the hard part. It was pretty difficult but what I dreaded most was the recovery. I was OK with lying on the table awake for some of the surgery.  And the IV was a breeze (which is rare for me). They cut open my spine about 4 inches in the center of my back.  Cranked it open and pulled the wires out.  They then opened up the battery area and took it out to test it.  When he put the new ones in I was awake for the testing.  I told them where I felt the stimulation and he placed the wires where they needed to be.  He had to cut away a bunch of scar tissue and re-tunnel the wires from the spine area to the battery in my upper left butt cheek. When everything seemed to be working great they tacked the wires down and closed me up. With everything that he did it has caused me pretty intense pain.  The battery area was where a lot of scar tissue was that he removed and the area where he tunneled the wires hurts because it just got cut open on the inside.  I hate taking pain pills so I am not taking as many as I thought I needed.
 
So, after all of that I still have a recovery that seems to be lasting forever. The wires are not secure tightly, because I have not sealed them with scar tissue yet, so I have to be very careful with what I do so that the wires do not move.  I cannot bend, lift, twist, reach and that leaves me to pretty much just laying here.  I  also can't put my elbows above my head or carry much. Even a plate hurts sometimes.  This all lasts for at least 6 weeks. I can add a little more activity through the 6 month period and carefully get back to doing a lot more things by the end of the first year of healing.  It has been one week since I was cut open and I need it to be over. I wanna go out and do stuff so much. I also miss driving. I feel so free being able to go do things.

The first 3 or 4 days are pretty hard. The crazy thing is that my doctor has me come in to be evaluated 2 days after surgery. It is hard enough going to the bathroom let alone riding in the car and moving around a lot. The check-up went very well. He was pleased with my recovery thus far. He wants to see me in a few more days. It would just be so much easier if he made house calls. But that can't happen.

 It is hard for me but because I can't even go to the bathroom alone, or do much of anything. Mom slept downstairs with me for the first 4 or 5 nights and got up whenever I needed her.  Dad would come down and check on me a lot. i just need the pain to go away.

Even tho accepting it was hard, I have felt a peace throughout this whole ordeal.  I think this last surgery went better than all of the past surgeries.  I had gotten rid of some negative and emotionally draining people. I only surround myself with positive people. I am spending a lot more time with family and I have felt really accepted at a church mom goes to.  I went a few days before my surgery and got so much support and encouragement.  The Pastor and his wife are great and we found out that they lives 2 doors down from us.  He calls me everyday to see how I am doing and to pray with me. 

I feel so loved and now I am eager to have a life that I have wanted for so long. I plan on starting some classes in the fall to work my way towards being able to apply for a amazing job opportunity. I feel so blessed with the family and friends that have shown me that I matter. Opening up like this, and letting people know of my surgery and other medical issues, has been very tough but I think it has been the best thing for me.  Now, I just do my best to heal so that my new life can start.  I am bored but at least I have Netflix, Hulu and a new book I find very inspiring: Defy Gravity by Caroline Myss.  I think I would lose my mind if I did not have these things to distract me.

No comments:

Post a Comment